CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Aliya & Rope Climbing


I've been changing up my training routine to include what's called CrossFit. Cross Fit training involves a lot of major muscle group training & one of the workouts includes rope climbing. So I could continue to train at home I headed down to the local hardware store & bought 30 feet of rope, borrowed a ladder from a neighbor & climbed up a tall tree on the side of our tree & secured the rope.
I thought I'd include Brendan as Daddy's little helper so I asked him to hold the ladder; being a Weaver & therefore being curious & mischievous he began to shake the ladder violently while I was at the very top of the ladder!
I yelled down for him to stop but he kept shaking the ladder thinking it was funny to see the Old Man in a panic. I quickly realized that I was throwing gas on the fire by letting him see I was upset so I calmed down & explained that Daddy would fall &get hurt if he kept shaking the ladder & his job as helper was to hold the ladder with his feet shoulder-width apart; being such a good boy he did what I asked & I finished up & came down.

Almost immediately, the rope became Aliya's favorite thing to play on. She will spend hours twisting, flipping, swinging & climbing the rope. Particularly, she loves to climb the rope & sit in the lower branches of the tree, Queen of all she surveys.

Finally, the kids were inside, & after watching Aliya climb the rope like a little monkey, I decided it was my turn to climb the rope & get in a workout. I started climbing to get in my workout & my arms quickly got tired & I started slip. Slipping down a rope from 20+ feet up isn't something I wanted to do. I tried to hold on but continued to slip & finally shot to the ground & landed with a dull thud. First, I looked around to make sure no one had seen me, then...I checked to make sure I hadn't broke anything.
Sore & feeling stupid that my 5 year old could climb this rope for hours, I picked myself up & went inside.

1 comments:

Keith said...

'Old Man', yep it's come to that hasn't it. I wish we had a tree to put a rope in.